Monday, October 5, 2009

Interruptions

Let's discuss the amount of interruptions a teacher experiences in one teaching day. I have been contemplating this for awhile. A teacher has to be really brilliant to even remember where they were. One day within one half hour I received these interruptions. The phone rang and I was asked if I could send up a particular boy to the office. I listened for the name going through my head and registering who it was. It didn't sound familiar but then (I had only been in school for a couple of weeks and still trying to keep names and faces straight). I got off the phone and looked at my students. They all stared back at me, and I realized I do not have that boy in my classroom. I called the office and reassured them they must have the wrong room. I do not have a so and so. The office person (new to our school) proceeded to argue with me that I had to have that person, and they were needed in the office because their parent was waiting for them. After a few more minutes of "I guarantee you I do not have that student) I could hear on the other line, a pause, and then an "oh" "you are not so and so." No, I said, "I am not". I turned around and tried to return to my science lesson, when the door opened up and in walked two students wanting me to sign a card for a staff member. "Gladly," I replied, and signed away. I was going to get to that science lesson if it killed me. Then as I was about to give it my best, a voice came over the loud speaker. "Pardon, me," it began, "pardon the interruption," (by all means we can handle a few interruptions with ease, I thought to myself. An announcement for kindergarten through second grade teachers came through to take their students to the playground for firedrill instruction. I just so happen to teach third grade, but no bother, we all listened patiently. Just as I was finally going to get back to where I was, two students walked in with a stack of papers that had to be delivered because they needed to go out this afternoon, and would I please sign this roster for them, proof that I had indeed received the important papers. We all smiled as I signed away and I thanked the eager young men just doing their good deed for the day. "Okay," I started, trying to return to the subject at hand, when one of my students raised their hand and announced they had to take their lunch money to the cafeteria or they wouldn't receive lunch and did I have an envelope because their mom did not have one? "Of course," I reply and I go to the closet where the envelopes are kept. We look up the lunch number they can't remember and write it on the envelope. Now, I smiled, when a bright young girl raised her hand. "Yes?" I question. "Isn't it time for us to go computer lab?" I check my schedule and sure enough it is. I look at my students, "well class," I manage, "when we return from computer lab and recess, "who will be in charge of letting me know where we left off?" All hands shoot up, and they promise to remind me. We line up and march to our next destination. I am a professional and part of being a teacher is being flexible and ready to roll with a day that is interrupted. Yet, as we marched to the computer lab, I couldn't help but wondering if would ever get to the lesson that I stayed after school the day before to plan without any interruptions. I shook my head no, knowing full well a day without interruptions would probably be boring anyway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!