Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Making a Difference

Sometimes when the alarm goes off in the morning a teacher can feel like what's the point? We don't work for money, because with the hours we put in, we could certainly have picked a more profitable profession. We don't work for a job promotion, because the only promotion we get is being moved from grade to grade (not necessarily by choice!) when we are just feeling comfortable in the grade we are in and have spent a numerous amount of money of our own, and now, we get to reinvent another wheel and spend more money. So, no, a job promotion is not something we get. We certainly don't work for praise, because many times we only hear from parents when they want to complain we have given their child too much homework, or we have given their child not enough homework. Then we hear from them alot. We don't hear thanks for the many extra hours we put in trying to take curriculum that seems a little stale, and try to present it in a creative and effective manner. So, when it comes right down to it, we mainly get up in the morning to try to make a difference in a child's life. We live for it, and we look for it. Somewhere during the crazy, busy, wheel spinning day, we hope we are reaching the unreachable and they will remember how their teacher did their best. I have one of those children this year who is making me earn my money. He is distracted most of the time, and sits glazed, like he is somewhere else. But today, after we had been going over the value of money for the fifteenth time, a light went on. It actually stunned him. His hand shot up before he knew what he was doing. He had a look on his face, "I got it, pick me!" I turned, and our eyes met. "Yes?" He proudly spit out the answer. It was a treasured moment. We both nodded to each other and I gave him a thumbs up. He sat a little taller and worked a little harder the rest of the day. All I can say to him is "thank-you!" When my alarm goes off tomorrow, I will get up and I will put in another day. Because you're worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!