Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An enlightening day

Today started out ordinary, except for the fact that I was met at the door when I arrived at school by the young, eager college student needing some observation hours I forgot I signed up for. I thought, "oh no, I don't have that great of a day lined up, but like we all do, I put on my best smile and greeted her with enthusiasm. I asked casually how long she was staying and she sparkled even brighter and said, "all day!" Well, I pulled some tricks out of a hat, and tried my best to give her something to look at that would make her go away with a passion for teaching. I felt obligated to not let her down, and even more so, the whole teaching profession. The day progressed and I had the patience we all dream of. I handled the girl who fell at recess and cried for the whole twenty minutes, until I could get the story straight that she had lost her dignity when she crashed into the boy she had a crush on while running out of the bathroom. I solved it peacefully. Then I listened intently while another little girl explained for the fifth time that she had cheerleading practice after school and wanted me to come watch. I reassured her she was going to have a great time, but I didn't think I could make it. I was even saintly while the young man in my class called a little girl a "damn girl", because she licked her hand and wiped it on his face. Patience, patience, patience was my middle name. I thought to myself, the teaching world is so lucky to have me. The day finally ended and I was saying good-bye. I thought this girl was probably impressed with my abilities and expert teaching.l I gave her my biggest smile and asked. "well, what do you think?" She took out her numerous pages of notes, and paused for a moment. I thought here it comes. Compliments, compliments. Instead she said the most enlightening comment I heard all day. "What a lucky person you are, " pause, "you get to teach the most adorable kids!" In a moment she summed up why we get up in the morning and why we show up each day and work hard. It's the kids. They make it all worthwhile and it took an eager college student to remind me that I am lucky to be a part of lives that I can influence for years to come. All in all, it was a good lesson to remember. An ordinary day actually handed me a lesson I needed reminding of every once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I think that is so funny, except I would have said, "don't those kids get on your nerves?" You need to spread the word on your blog so more people will follow it and then you will be popular.

    ReplyDelete

Hello educational fans!