Wednesday, September 23, 2009

peanut butter and magic

Today was fun. We have been reading a story that took place in Ghana. On the pages following the story we saw a recipe for peanut butter, one of the main staples in Ghana. The people actually use peanuts, which grows plentifully, as their number one source of protein. So, while I was at Wal-Mart last night I saw some peanuts seasoned with sea salt and I thought why not? I packed up my blender, oil, spatula, measuring cups, crackers (to spread the peanut butter on), and extension cord. It only took me two trips to get all the items to my classroom. This meant I had to walk all across campus with items in tow. I felt like the pied piper, as I seemed to gather children along the way. First, I dropped the top to the blender which was hanging out of the bag. One of my students ran to my rescue. "What are we making?" they kept asking as we marched across campus, more students following, picking up the various items that kept falling from my now ripped bag. We finally reached the picnic table and relieved ourselves of the scattered items. We all started back for the second trip. After the morning recess we turned to the peanut butter making recipe. I slowly started pulling out the items from my bag as we read the recipe. My students literally cheered. We each tasted a peanut first, discussing the fact they were salted from the sea, and we were studying the ocean this week. Then, we measured and poured. I turned it on, and we plugged our ears. We counted to sixty twice. I opened the lid and sure enough there was a sticky pasty substance inside. I walked around to show each student and there was reverence as they looked. It was magical. We scooped and tasted. Perfect. We all agreed that it was way better than the peanut butter purchased in the store and many vowed to go home and make it with their parents. All I could think of was I hope they don't hate me for it. When the day was over, two little girls hugged me tight and said, "I love you!" I know they really loved the peanut butter and our moment of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!