Thursday, September 17, 2009

Children tell the truth

Today started out like any other. I walked towards my classroom which is located right on the playground and I am attacked by last year's students. They always seem to find me when I have several things in my hand and they swarm like bees. I can't help but thinking, children act like they haven't seen you forever, when they just hugged you fifteen minutes ago. I fnally worked through the throng of students and gave each one of my best hugs. Finally I get my key in the door, and think okay, maybe I can get a few things done before the bell rings. Not the case. I am rushed by two breathless girls from my class. "We've been attacked, we've been attacked!" they are screaming. I put my personal items in the closet and give my undivided attention to my two young informers. I look to see if there is obvious blood or markings. None. I nod as they both describe what happened in the girls bathroom, (one of the worse places on an elementary campus), they use their hands to show how they were slugged by a girl and they did nothing to deserve it. Their eyes plead their innocence. I march the playground with them as they search for their attacker. These girls by the way, are on the larger side, and I am thinking as we walk, this girl who slugged them must be even larger to take them on. We spot the predator and my two young friends are pointing and accusing. The girl I am looking at is two years younger and not even half their size. I got to admit, I admired her spunk. She looked solemn when I asked if she attacked my girls. She nodded in agreement. Then I ask her the most important question. "Why?" She looked me squarely in the face and said, "My fists started and I couldn't stop them." This girl must weigh about fifty pounds if she is lucky. She was as serious as could be. I had to look away. "You couldn't stop them?" She shook her head no. Then the tears started. They were immediate with repentance. I asked if she knew these girls and she says she does, but they give her dirty stares. When they walked past her at the sink, that was when her fists couldn't control themselves. I questioned whether her mind should have told her fists to stop, and she thinks it over and then says "no" that is not possible. Well, we decided she could sit out a few recesses to learn that it was possible. Fists should not hurt others. I lost all my working time, but I marveled how the young lady never tried to get out of the situation, she stood her ground and told the truth as she saw it. She was not trying to prove a point, just trying to make sense of the world in her own way. Children have an innocence that is an amazement day after day. My job is to convince her that her mind can control a situation when given a chance. She sat out three recesses to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!