Friday, September 18, 2009

cupcake capers

So, my class and I have been walking our track at school to equal the miles it would take to walk to the capital cities in the western United States. We started in Southern California and made it to Sacramento in a week and a half. When we reached our destination we did alot of cheering and had a food celebration. For Sacramento we made solar ovens and cooked hot dogs (they really worked after four hours in the sun) and ate a variety of fruits and nuts, all in honor of what the San Juaquin Valley grows for us. Then we headed to Salem, Oregon which only took a matter of four days. I was searching my brain for what we could eat for Oregon and then decided to make cupcakes with sprinkles in the shape of O's. I bought the ingredients picturing the joy my students would have when I brought the cupcakes to school and had the unveiling. We sat at the table outside our classroom, and I lifted the foil that would reveal my cupcakes. I even had my students close their eyes so that we could see them all at once. My smile couldn't have been more sincere. Except, when I lifted up the foil I heard a sob from the end of the table. Instantly my students were out of their seats and surrounding a girl who was sobbing hysterically. The sympathy was apparent as fellow students solemnly patted her back. I raced down to the end of the table. "What's wrong," I implored, "who hurt you?' She could only choke on her sobs and her speech was incoherent. A friend was pushing her hand in a circular motion on her back and seemed to understand. "It's okay," she kept saying. Finally, the little boy who really is our class genious shook his head. I looked down. He stated in a compassionate tone. "She hates sprinkles!" The little girl started to sob violently again shaking her head in agreement. It took ten more minutes before we could start the cupcake eating. Two boys quickly volunteered to eat the girl's cupcake that I reassured her she didn't have to eat. My dreams were shattered. I had imagined a moment of sheer happiness, and instead was faced with a sprinkled cupcake that practically scarred a girl for life. She eventually pulled it together, still gaining sympathy from her fellow classmates long into our academic time. Then it came. Out of nowhere. I was cleaning up and passing around the trash can. One of my shyest boys, who rarely speaks, came up to me with a frosting covered face. He tapped my back. "Thank-you", he whispered as he put his trash into the can. I mouthed a "you're welcome." The day became calm and the world seemed a little brighter. A moment of appreciation for all that we teachers do is welcomed every once in a while. The rest is all in a day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!