Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good notes, Bad notes

Today I want to talk about notes. A teacher can receive more than ten notes a day. Some are inquiring (when is my child being tested for GATE?), some are demanding, (fill out this form and have it back to me within the next twenty mintues, it is three pages long), some are informative, (my child was up all night throwing up, please watch them and call me if there are any problems), some are critical, (you neglected to give my daughter a drink when she needed one, when the girl never asked for a drink in the first place, the teacher never is given the benefit of the doubt), some are inspiring, (my son really loved being in your class, these are rare and cherished!), but the best note was today from a parent that read somewhat like this and I will not quote to protect the innocent (mainly me!!), so I will paraphrase. Dear___________, I would like you catch up my son today, (today was underlined three times) due to the fact it is very demanding for me to help him with his homework. By the way do you teach anything to him during the day, because I have never had to help him before and he is having such a difficult time, I was just wondering if he learns anything all day? Please help him, he needs lots of it, and it is bothering me to help him so much, (much was underlined three times too!). Now for a little history on this student. He has been in my class for a total of two weeks. He missed the first month of school due to the fact his mother moved and it took her awhile to get him registered in school because she is flaky! (Maybe someone should have sent her a note to remind children need to be in school when it starts). Anyway, I read the note and placed it neatly in a file and comprised a fake one in my head. Dear____________, I am sorry so and so is having such a difficult time doing his homework. It really is my fault. I should have been at your door getting him to school for the first month when we learned the things that all of my other students now know how to do, and seem to be doing just fine! Instead of that note, I sent a very sweet and lovely note asking how we could support her son more and help her with the difficult homework. Maybe he could stay after class I suggested, one time this week and we could go over some of the things he is having problems with. I put the note into an envelope and smiled at the boy when I handed it to him. I told him it was a nice note for his mother. He smiled back so sincerely and said, "thank-you!" with eager enthusiasm, that I was glad I sent the latter note. I know inside it isn't his fault he feels behind. He is not the one in charge of his life, and he justs wants to feel good about his efforts. I rustled his hair and told him we were going to get him caught up. Then he raced out the door and I knew I would wait for the note coming back to me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello educational fans!